Welcome Mishpochah!



Todah (thanks) for visiting the NEW Bayith HaTorah Blog. We will post some of the wonderful teachings from our Shabbat services as well as, our weekly conference studies. You have the option of joining us for Live study weekly. Moreh B and Morah Usher will challenge your traditional beliefs and lead you into new and fresh insights of the Torah.


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vegetarianism in the Scriptures

The bible, on many occasions, says that man was given "dominion" over the animals. People have twisted this to mean that they can do anything they wish to animals. What is meant by "dominion" is the ability to impose our will. We do indeed rule over all animals, as we are the most powerful species on the planet. This however, does not mean it is okay to abuse this power, through animal abuse, and other wicked acts. The Sovereign, without a doubt, wants us to show mercy for animals.

Animal Sacrifices
We have just discussed the concept of The Sovereign having mercy on animals and  not wanting us to abuse them. The idea of animal rights being expressed in the bible comes under fire from those who point to instances of animal sacrifice. I admit the many scriptures about  animal sacrifice in the bible have troubled me in the past. How can The Merciful One command us to sacrifice animals? The truth of the matter is, we are NOT supposed to sacrifice animals. The Sovereign does not command us to do this. 

The great Jewish philosopher Abarbanel believed animal sacrifice was briefly allowed by Elohim in order to end the idolatry the Jews practiced in Egypt. He cited a Jewish writing that indicated that the Jews had become accustomed to sacrifices in Egypt. To wean them from these idolatrous practices, Elohim tolerated the sacrifices but commanded that they be offered in one central sanctuary:

Thereupon the Holy One, blessed be He, said "Let them at
all times offer their sacrifices before Me in the Tabernacle,
and they will be weaned from idolatry, and thus be saved."
(Rabbi J. H. Hertz, The Pentateuch and Haftorahs, p. 562)

This was after the Jews had come out of Egypt. One Jewish theologian indicated that The Sovereign did not want the Israelites to bring sacrifices; it was their choice. He based this on a biblical verse read on the Sabbath:

Isaiah 43:23
I have not burdened thee with a meal-offering, Nor wearied thee with frankincense.

The bible teaches that animal sacrifices were voluntary. Many have taken the scriptures to mean that we must sacrifice animals in order to please The Sovereign. This is not what pleases Elohim. We are commanded to obey his laws. This can be see in the book of Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 7:22-23
For I spoke not unto your fathers, nor commanded them on the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt-offerings or sacrifices; but this thing I commanded them, saying, "Obey my voice, and I will be your Sovereign, and ye shall be my people; and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

The Sovereign never commanded us to sacrifice animals. His message was "obey my voice". Nowhere in the Ten Commandments is there any reference to sacrifice.

I say it again: animal sacrifices were never a law of The Sovereign. In fact Elohim prefers we don't sacrifice animals. That is what is meant by "To do charity and justice is more acceptable to the Sovereign than sacrifice" (Proverbs 21:3). Also, in Hosea 6:6,  "What I want is mercy, not sacrifice."  The Sovereign hates animal sacrifice. Consider the following verses from the book of Isaiah....

Isaiah 1:11-16
"The multitude of your sacrifices-- what are they to me?" says the Sovereign. "I have more than enough of burnt offerings, of rams and the fat of fattened animals; I have no pleasure in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats. When you come to appear before me, who has asked this of you, this trampling of my courts? Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations-- I cannot bear your evil assemblies. Your New Moon festivals and your appointed feasts my soul hates. They have become a burden to me; I am weary of bearing them. When you spread out your hands in prayer, I will hide my eyes from you; even if you offer many prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood; wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...